This article is intended to be used by the general public for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be used as a reference for educational research papers, nor is it a reflection of the services available through our Rehab Program in Thailand.
Quotes on Giving Back
Giving back is an essential component
of sustained and joyful recovery.
Here are some great quotes on giving back:
- I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy. (Kahlil Gibran) This puts things in perspective: service to others, not to self, mysteriously and incidentally results in self-benefit.
- Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give. (Ben Carson) Again, a reminder not to put the cart before the horse. Desire is endless; the satisfaction of giving is endlessly fulfilling.
- You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. (Amy Carmichael) Love is an action word.
- As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way. (Mary Ann Radmacher) The best way to reinforce what is best in me is to share it.
- Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it away to others. (Brian Tracy) Just as acts of gratitude increase gratitude, acts of love engender more love. (The opposite is also true: acts of hatred feed hatred and it grows like a cancer.)
- Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping them up. (Jesse Jackson) The addict or alcoholic is easy to judge as foolish, unpleasant, selfish, and unreliable. These may be accurate assessments, but they are not useful in helping the person find a new way of living.
- Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. (Gautama Buddha) This image of sharing of the spirit is inspiring—I have available to me an infinite source of goodness to contribute.
- Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. (Seneca) This is a great vision to carry at all times—especially in challenging moments when I want to judge someone.
- Be not forgetful to entertain strangers for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. (Old Testament) A great metaphor—the drunk on the bus bench is an angel waiting to be awakened.
- You have to give it away in order to keep it. (Anonymous) Recovery’s just like that—it’s a simple principle, proven over and over again, day after day.