Home > The Complex Nature of Abused Substances and Getting Help for Addiction > Employers and Work Environment and Alcohol
[flickr size=”small” float=”left”]5484538626[/flickr]
Employee drug and alcohol misuse or abuse is a problem worldwide. National and international organizations– such as the World Health Organization; the Occupational Safety & Health Offices (of the U.S., UK, Canada, etc.); and the International Labor Office (ILO)— recognize the extent of the problem, its negative impact on business and industry, and emphasize the need for drug-free workplace programs.
[flickr size=”small” float=”right”]5483992637[/flickr]
Employee drug and alcohol misuse or abuse can cause health, safety and productivity hazards within your company. Consequences can include:
* Higher costs:
– For recruitment and training (if need for employee termination)
– from absenteeism
– from impaired productivity
– from workers’ compensation claims
* Interpersonal conflicts
* Violence in the workplace
* Increased risk of accidents caused by impaired judgment
* Lower employee morale
* Deterioration of job performance
* A damaged company reputation
* Increased personnel turnover
Benefits of a drug and alcohol free workplace include:
* assisting employees
* preventing accidents
* protecting your business and bottom-line profits
* safeguarding the health and safety of all workers
* improving productivity, efficiency, and workplace morale
* complying with laws and regulations (as applicable)
* reducing use of medical benefits
It is vital for all businesses to have a drug-free environment for workforce health and safety, and to ensure that the company’s reputation, integrity, and productivity remain at an optimal level of quality.
Things you can do:
* Have a written policy for maintaining a drug and alcohol free workplace. Your policy should: (a) clearly state why the policy is being implemented, (b) describe what behaviors are prohibited, and (c) explain the consequences of policy violation.
* Have a drug and alcohol free workplace education and training program
* Have a system in place for assisting employees with a drug and/or alcohol problem
* You may also choose to implement a drug testing program
For more information about implementing a drug and alcohol free workplace program, visit the Drug Free Workplace website of the U.S. Department of Labor.
Drug and Alcohol Rehab programs from only $4,995 for 4 weeks.
DARA Thailand is Asia’s premier and leading international destination for drug rehab and alcohol addiction treatment. If you or a loved one needs help with addiction, please contact DARA Thailand today. Admissions counselors are available 24/7.Visit DARA Thailand
How Rehab Works
Drug or alcohol rehabilitation works at DARA by taking you away from your daily triggers and stresses that lead to your drug or alcohol use in the first place.
Make a Decision
DARA can use a model to help conceptualize the process of recognizing there is a drinking or drug problem and taking action to do something about it.