Dangers of Drinking Alcohol in the Mornings
Examine the risks of drinking alcohol in the morning & why it should be avoided. See how a treatment program provides the help needed to achieve sobriety.
One of the images of the alcoholic in the public perception is somebody who drinks alcohol as soon as they wake up in the morning. This is why if somebody admits that they drink at this time of the day they will usually be viewed as having a problem. In reality there is not much difference between drinking alcohol at 9 in the morning and 9 at night. There can even be reasonable justifications for why people drink at breakfast time. Those individuals who work on the night shift may have a few drinks before they go to bed – just the same as other workers feel entitled to do at the end of their work day. In some cultures it is even considered acceptable for people to go to the bar for a single drink before starting work for the day.
What Is The Hair of the Dog?
The hair of the dog is a drink that people consume in order to lessen the effects of their hangover. If people have consumed an excessive amount of alcohol the night before they can have many unpleasant physical symptoms the next day. This can make life difficult if they need to go to work or perform some duty. There are two main reasons why drinking in the morning will lessen the affects of alcohol. Firstly it prevents heavy drinkers from going into alcohol withdrawals which can account for some of the hangover affects. The hair of the dog can also be affective because it delays the metabolisms of methanol – thus delaying the symptoms of hangover.
Although drinking alcohol the morning after a heavy drinking session may help to alleviate the symptoms of a hangover it is not recommended. It only puts of the symptoms and it can too easily become a habit. If the individual has things to do that day then even a small amount of alcohol could affect their performance. They may become even less productive than they would be with a hangover. If they are going to be driving then even a small amount of alcohol could put them over the limit when combined with their blood alcohol content from the night before. It can also be a slippery slope from hair of the dog to full blown alcoholism.
Morning Drinking and Shift Workers
Some people who regularly work the nightshift like to have a few morning drinks with alcohol when they are finished their shift. While this is technically morning time they will be behaving in much the same way as if it were the evening. The bars that serve night workers can be busy and those who drink sensibly should be able to engage in this activity without it causing them too much harm. Some people find that drinking in the mornings impacts their ability to sleep. People can also find that they feel inebriated faster because their circadian rhythm is not fully adjusted to the night shift. If people find it difficult to eat while working the night shift it will not be a good idea for them to drink on an empty stomach.
Dangers of Alcohol in the Morning
There are many dangers associated with drinking alcohol in the morning including:
- If the individual feels that they need to drink first thing in the morning in order to face the day it is a sign of psychological dependence on alcohol.
- Those people who need to drink first thing in order to overcome physical symptoms area also likely to be alcoholics. If these individuals do not manage to drink in the morning it will mean that they experience withdrawal symptoms.
- If the individual drinks in the morning it can easily lead to drinking all day. Those who drink a few beers in the morning can have a hangover in the afternoon unless they keep drinking.
- Drinking in the morning can mean that the individual is more prone to accidents.
- Drinking before going to work is likely to reduce productivity. It can also harm the individual’s reputation if others suspect they have been drinking.
- Those who drink in the morning will usually struggle to take care of their responsibilities.
- Many people who consume alcohol for breakfast will do so with an empty stomach. This is extremely damaging for their health an increase the likelihood of developing alcoholic liver disease and alcoholic dementia.
- Those individuals who drink in the morning will often do so alone. This means that they are not drinking to be sociable but for the effects of the alcohol.
Not sure if your insurance covers alcohol treatment?
Check your insurance coverage or text us your questions for more information.